How to get a visa in Thailand ?
Thailand is one of your favorite destinations. You have planned a stay? or maybe even live there? The question of the visa is then one of your concern … We will help you to understand which will be most adapted to your situation.
We represent siamrelocation.com, a company established in the international moving and specialized on Thailand. We offer a dedicated and personalized service to each of our clients. We work with only mindset that every customer is unique. That’s why we want to adapt our services to each situation. Our teams of professionals are present from A to Z, they listen to you, follow you and you in all your steps. Especially in the long procedure of obtaining a VISA. If you have any questions we are at your disposal and at your disposal. Do not hesitate to visit our website or directly to contact us. Hoping to help you in the near future!
Finding and choosing the visa that suits you will depend on the duration and purpose of your stay (work, tourism, retirement, …). Nevertheless, we want to warn you of one important thing, visa legislation is subject to regular changes. The best way is generally to contact the Thai Embassy in your country beforehand to check the current value of the information in your possession at the moment M.
A visa allows entry and stay (for a defined period) in Thailand.
Visas are issued by Thai Embassies and Consulates (outside Thai territory).
Once on site, and under certain conditions, it is generally possible to obtain an extension of the length of stay. The duration of the extension varies depending on the type of visa. It is obtained from the immigration office in Thailand.
If you want to stay in Thailand, the normal procedure is as follows: before you leave, go to the nearest consulate or embassy to get the visa that suits your situation. The visa exemption (see below) will however allow nationals of a number of countries to travel to Thailand without a visa.
The time to obtain a visa, in case all the required documents are well supplied, varies between 48 hours and a week. Consulates or Embassies are the only bodies authorized to provide the conditions and the exact list of documents required for obtaining a visa. In any case, we invite you to contact a French Embassy or consulate: they officially represent the Thai government. The staff speaks French and will be able to inform you. We therefore recommend that you do not always rely on information that you can read on the Internet, whether on informative sites or on discussion forums: they are not always accurate or updated.
The different types of visas
The visa exemption
Thailand has an agreement with 41 countries (including France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Canada, for the complete list, see below) which allows nationals of these countries to enter Thailand without a visa. and to stay there for 30 days (in the case of an entry by air) or 15 days * (in the case of entry by land or sea). * Since October 2013, French nationals will obtain a 30-day visa waiver even when entering Thailand by land.
The visa waiver takes the form of a stamp affixed to your passport upon arrival in the country.
NB: Until 2009, it was possible to renew this buffer indefinitely leaving the country (even a few hours), and thus permanently stay in Thailand without a visa … to fight against this abusive practice, the government has limited to 4 the number successive renewals possible by land or sea … So for people wishing to stay more than 6 months in Thailand, it is better to opt for a visa.
It is possible to obtain an extension of 30 additional days at the immigration office. The application process costs 1,900 baht per person and can only be done once.
However, the total duration of the stay in Thailand, once it has been obtained without a visa, may not exceed 90 days in a period of 6 months.
Countries concerned by the visa waiver: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Monaco , the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the Sultanate of Oman, Peru, the Philippines, Portugal, Poland, Qatar, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Africa South, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States and Vietnam.
The tourist visa
Who can get this visa?
The tourist visa is exclusively intended for people traveling to Thailand for tourism purposes. Anyone providing the required documents may claim
- Length of stay allowed: 60 days. It is possible to obtain a 30-day extension at an immigration office in Thailand (this will cost you 1,900 THB, or about 40 €)
- Validity period of the visa: 3 months
- Cost: € 30 per entry (at the Thai Embassy in your country, similar prices in other embassies)
- New: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has recently announced the creation of a 6-month multi-entry tourist visa, which will be available from November 13, 2015.
- Passport valid for more than 6 months from the date of entry into Thai territory
- Completed visa application form
- 1 photograph of the applicant taken from the front, bareheaded, format 4X6 cm, recent (less than 6 months)
- You may be asked to present a paid air ticket, which proves that you stay less than 90 days in Thai territory and / or proof of your creditworthiness, ie a bank account statement with an amount of 20,000 THB or 40,000 THB (depending on the embassy)
NB: The Embassy of Thailand in your country can provide visas 2 entries, but no more; and to obtain a 2 entry visa, you must present airline tickets proving that you will leave the territory less than 90 days after your first entry.
When your visa expires, it is possible to go to a Thai Embassy in a country bordering Thailand to obtain a new visa. Be aware, however, that the embassies of bordering countries most often provide single entry visas, and that in the future, repeatedly obtaining tourist visas could become more complicated.
We advise you to check all the documents requested from the Embassy to which you make your request, these may vary from one embassy to another.
The non-immigrant visa O
Who can get this visa?
- Minors (under 20 years of age) of whom one of the parents is a Thai national
- Foreigners whose spouse is of Thai nationality
- Foreign nationals whose spouse holds a long-stay immigrant or non-immigrant visa
- Foreigners over 50
- Other (participation in a sports event, humanitarian action …)
- Length of stay allowed: 90 days, possibility to extend to 1 year at the immigration office under several conditions
- Validity period of the visa: 3 months (visa 1 entry) or 1 year (multiple entries)
- Cost: 60 € (1 entry) or 130 € (multiple entries)
It is possible to obtain a one-year extension of this visa at an immigration office in Thailand (you will need to present the same supporting documents as for obtaining a non-immigrant visa OA, see below). after).
- Passport valid for more than 6 months for single-entry and 18 months for multiple-entries from the date of entry into Thai territory
- Completed visa application form
- A photograph of the applicant taken from the front, bareheaded, format 4X6 cm, recent (less than 6 months)
- Other parts depending on the applicant’s situation (Thai spouse, foreigner over 50 years old …). In the case of foreigners over the age of 50, proof of a monthly income of THB 65,000 or a bank deposit of THB 800,000 (a French account is acceptable), or combination of both.
NB: The Embassy of Thailand in your country delivers easily visas O multiple entries. We do not commit to the conditions for obtaining this visa in embassies other than the Thai Embassy in your country. Just be aware that obtaining multiple entry visa is rarely possible in neighboring countries.
Non-immigrant visa OA (retired visa)
Who can get this visa?
- Foreigners over 50
- Residents in Thailand do not intend to take up paid employment in Thailand
- Justifying a monthly income greater than or equal to 65,000 or a bank deposit of 800,000 or more Baths, or a combination of both;
- Never having been convicted of a crime or offense against the security of Thailand, or of their country of residence;
- Not addicted or carrying infectious diseases (leprosy, tuberculosis, elephantiasis, syphilis).
- Length of stay allowed: 1 year renewable
- Validity period of the visa: 3 months (single entry) or 1 year (multiple entries)
- Cost: 55 € (single entry) or 130 € (multiple entries)
- A passport valid for more than 18 months
- 3 visa application forms duly completed
- 3 photographs taken from the front, bareheaded, size 4X6 cm, (less than 6 months)
- 3 photocopies of the passport
- 3 copies of a medical certificate of less than 3 months attesting that the applicant does not carry any contagious diseases. This certificate must be issued by a doctor in the country where the visa application is made and must be validated by the applicant’s Consulate.
- 3 copies of criminal record (bulletin N ° 3) of less than 3 months and certified by the applicant’s embassy
- 3 copies of proof of address in your country (electricity bill, telecom, …)
- 3 CVs (occupations performed during the last 10 years before retirement)
- 3 copies of proof of resources: a bank deposit of € 20,000 per applicant to be submitted in the form of a recent bank certificate (original)
- Attention: from the 2nd request of this type of visa to the Embassy, a bank deposit of 800 000 baht in a bank in Thailand is mandatory, and to present in the form of a recent certificate or a notebook well discounted bank (less than a month)
NB: In case of application for OA visa, the Thai Embassy in your country sends by mail the list of required documents. The Embassy may ask you to deposit a bank deposit in a Thai account.
If you can not get this visa from your country, ask for an O visa (see our tips). It is generally easier – if you are helped in Thailand – to obtain an O visa extension than to obtain an OA visa from your country.
The non-immigrant investor visa
This visa authorizes a stay of one year. It is renewable. For those who wish to benefit from the investor visa, there are a number of formalities to complete and the help of a lawyer is always recommended.
If you want to know more, we invite you to contact us.
The concept of “Non-Immigrant Visa Investment” is not new in Thailand. After the 1997 crisis, in order to support the promoters and help them dispose of their unsold inventories, an investor visa with a minimum of THB 3,000,000 (about 60,000 euros) was created to attract foreign investors. Since October 2006, when the Thai economy was restored, this visa had been abolished (without calling into question the renewal of visas issued before that date).
Recently, following the political crisis in Thailand and the global economic situation, Thailand reintroduced this visa for investors with a difference: the minimum amount of the investment was increased to THB 10,000,000 (200,000 to 250,000 € according to the euro / bath exchange rate).
This fills a gap in the availability of visas. Indeed, there was not really any alternative to offer to wealthy foreigners under the age of 50, who want to live in Thailand more or less permanently and who do not work (the over 50s can benefit the retired visa).
The non-immigrant visa ED
Who can get this visa?
This type of visa is intended for the following persons
- doing an unpaid internship of less than 90 days
- wishing to learn Thai at a school recognized by the Thai Ministry of Education
- conducting a school or university exchange at a Thai school
- educated in an international school
- attending an international conference
- Length of stay allowed: 90 days or 1 year depending on your condition (internship, study …)
- Validity period of the visa: 90 days
- Cost: 60 euros
To obtain it, you will need an official letter from an establishment accredited by the Thai Ministry of Education. For example, you can register for language courses (English or Thai).
If you are interested in this solution, we invite you to contact establishments on the spot, who will be able to assist you in achieving your visa.
- The passport (original and a photocopy of the passport). The passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of departure
- A duly completed form
- A photo ID in color
- The original of a professional letter or letter of invitation from the host organization (school, company, etc.)
- A photocopy of the ID of the person authorized to sign the letter of invitation with the mention “true copy” or “ส ำ เนำ ถูก ต้อง” written by the authorized person dated and signed
- The trade register (COMPLETE) of the host organization, or the school license where you will study
- For internships, an internship agreement is also requested
NB: it is recommended to check the documents requested on the site of the embassy according to your situation: unpaid internship, university exchange …
Non-immigrant visa B
Who can get this visa?
The visa is intended for the person wishing to work in Thailand, doing a paid internship or carrying out a professional mission. Once in Thailand with this visa, the visa holder must apply for the work permit from the Employment Department.
- Length of stay allowed: 90 days without leaving the territory
- Renewal: Once in a Thai Immigration Office
- Cost: 60 €
- The passport (original and a photocopy of the passport) valid for at least 6 months from the date of departure
- A completed form
- A photo ID in color
- The original of a professional letter or letter of invitation from the host company
- A photocopy of the ID of the person authorized to sign the letter of invitation with the mention “true copy”
- A form filed with the Employment Department by the employer or BOI’s letter of acceptance under article 24 and / or 25
- The trade register (FULL) of the host organization
- The sum of 60 €
- In addition, for people doing a paid internship, the original letter from the school in your country indicating the internship details of the student (e)
Good to know
- Validity of a visa and length of stay: the validity period of the visa must not be confused with the duration of the authorized stay (many “validity of stay” sites are read on many websites, which can lead to confusion).
- The period of validity of the visa refers to the period between the date of issue of the visa and its use (entry into the country).
Once the end date of validity of the visa exceeded, you will be unable to enter the country using this visa (even if you have never entered and have not yet benefited from the authorized stay!). You will then have to extend the duration of your visa.
- The length of stay authorized by this visa is the duration during which you will be allowed to stay in Thailand from your entry in the country.
- Single entry visa and multiple entry visa: A single entry visa entitles you to only one stay.
You enter the country (before the end date of validity of the visa) and are then allowed to stay there for the duration of the stay authorized by this visa.
If you leave the country before the end of the period allowed for your stay, your “non-consumed” days will be lost.
However, it is possible to buy “re-entry” fees before each of your outings to a local immigration office. This will cost you 1,000 THB for a single entry and THB 3,800 for multiple entries. These “re-entry” rights do not change the length of stay allowed.
A multiple-entry visa entitles you to several stays. You will be able to enter and leave the country several times, respecting the following rules:
- Each stay can not exceed the length of stay authorized by this visa. Your last entry must be made before the end date of validity of the visa.
- If the number of entries is specified (example: tourist visa 2 entries), you will be entitled to as many stays as entries.
To have further information about visa in Thailand, we invite you to follow this link to reach the official website : Immigration Thailand
You can also check the new smart visa available since February 2018. This visa is designed for investor and others business man wishing to work in the land of smile. More information here: le smart visa
Smart visa – The way for every business man in Thailand