Customs process on International move
One of the fundamental steps of international moving is the traditional customs clearance. When you move into a new country, your personal goods pass through specific ways and are controlled by customs services as soon as they enter the new country.
Your assets must therefore be fully compliant with the requirements of your new country of residence in order to avoid many problems. Because of country-specific restrictions, your business may not be welcome in your new home, or will require at least some form of restrictions or payment of customs duties.
Customs clearance process
Clearance: a difficult step
Customs formalities can sometimes be complicated. They imply a good knowledge of the laws of the country visited and of the specific restrictions that apply in its territory. This is why professional moving companies such as SIAM Relocation often take care of all the administrative aspects of your expatriation and simply ask you to provide them with the necessary documents to prepare your file.
Drugs and medicine are also subject to different severe restrictions from one state to another and the importation of certain substances is prohibited in some countries. Due to different national laws, the importation of some animal and plant species may also be difficult. Your pets must carry a specific passport that will be given to you by your veterinarian.
It is very important to know the exact nature of your property and to ensure that it is not counterfeit. Possession of counterfeit or non-compliant products exposes you to severe fines and possible confiscation of the offending products.
Some countries are particularly repressive about drugs. Detaining any drug in Malaysia will make you subject to the death penalty.
You should know that Thailand systematically taxes import of personal effects. However, we may apply for a tax exemption possible for following cases:
1 / Thai citizen back to Thailand.
In order to clear the personal belongings of a returning Thai citizen, the required document is the original passport, with the stamps or entry and exit visa of the origin country of the personal belongings.
Moreover, the Thai citizen, must have lived in the country of departure of the move a whole year to benefit from the exemption of taxes and customs duty. Too frequent trips to Thailand during this year may disqualify the case for Thai Customs. Your personal effects must arrive in Thailand no later than 6 months after the arrival of the Thai citizen.
*For each stay in Thailand, not more than 3 months. If you have changed your passport recently, keep it as it may be requested.
2 / Foreigner with work permit
A foreigner with a work permit valid for at least one year, with a non-immigrant visa or a residence visa may be exempt from taxes:
Here are the requirements:
- Non-immigrant Visa or Visa resident.
- Work Permit valid for one year
The work permit is a document issued by the Ministry of Labor. It is complementary to Visa, and allows to work legally in Thailand.
Thai work permit
What you need to know
- We need the original passport to clear (and work permit if foreigner). You will not be asked to be physically present, SIAM Relocation clears for you.
- The average delay for personal clearance is 4 days.
- Notify all your items in the inventory (packing list) because in case of customs visit, if the customs note omissions, this can create troubles and penalty.
- Customs does not grant any facility or payment period.
- All personal effects of less than 6 months will be taxed.
- The move must happen between 1 month before and 6 months after your arrival.
- A 7% VAT is applied to all invoices in Thailand.
- Electronics or household appliances: only 1 piece per category, 2 if the move is family-related. Example: 1 TV, 1 fridge, 1 microwave ….
Automatically taxed items
Even if the tax exemption is obtained, the following items will be taxed:
- Luxury items
- Carpets Marble objects
- bicycles, sporting goods
- musical instrument
- crystal objects
- gold and silver
- porcelain vases ..
- Alcohol (you have the right to 3 bottles, but we do not advise you to take alcohol because the license takes a long time to get)
- food (requires import license)
- plants (requires an import license)
- animals (requires an entry permit)
- religious figures
- weapons and ammunition
- drug addicts
- books, videos, pornographic
Siam Relocation - Best price moving company in Bangkok !
Due to our attractive pricing, many customers trust our services and we thanks them. Stop to overpay the services and save money with our tailored package matching will all type of removals, from small volume to full house, let us find the best and cost-effective option.
STOP TO OVERPAY !
Complete our online form and get your free quote within 48h!
+66 (0)9 85 85 38 22
+66 (0)9 85 85 38 22