PLEASE NOTE: SIAM Relocation no longer offers car import services in Thailand. Only diplomats' vehicles can be imported as they are exempted from customs duties.
In recent years, importing a car to Thailand has become very challenging (exporting it remains possible). To import your car, it must, in fact, be stamped "classic car" (old car and/or collection). High customs duties (between 187% and 315% of the car's value) will also need to be added to this.
Relocate your vehicles in Thailand
New vehicles of all types not yet registered abroad are allowed to be imported without requesting an import permit from the Ministry of Commerce. However, for vehicles with weight not exceeding 3,500 kg, the importer must obtain an import permit from the Thai Industrial Standard Institute (TISI).
Used Vehicles require an import permit from the Ministry of Foreign Trade. For vehicles weighing not exceeding 3,500 kg, the importer must also obtain an import permit from TISI.
Note SIAM: Do you need more informations about importing a car to thailand ? You can learn more about it on the official website right here: TISI (Thai Industrial Standards Institute).
Note SIAM: Import permit from the Ministry of Foreign Trade must be obtained before the arrival of the vehicle. If not, the fine is 10% of the price of the vehicle.
Terms for importing a used car to thailand
- Only one vehicle per person is allowed.
- If you are a foreigner, you must have resided in Thailand for at least one year, hold a non-immigrant visa and a valid work permit.
- If you are a foreigner, married to a Thai: you must present a marriage certificate, a certificate of change of residence. You need to have owned the vehicle for at least 18 months.
- If you are a Thai driver, the vehicle must follow you in the move. You also need a valid driver’s license and proof of ownership for more than 18 months
SIAM Note: Once the import procedure is completed, the owner must re-register the vehicle in Thailand in order to obtain a new vehicle registration document. Also called a blue book or ‘lem Tabian’. This allows the Ministry of Transportation to provide a sticker to stick on the vehicle for taxes. This procedure is essential, riding a non-registered car is illegal in Thailand.
Customs duties and taxes for used car from Thailand
All motor vehicles are taxed. The applied rate depends on the model, the year and the cylinder capacity.
Note SIAM: Cars and motorcycles are taxed between 187% and 328%.
SIAM Advice : How to make the vehicle ready before departures
- The fuel tank must be filled to a minimum, less than 1/4. The battery must be charged.
- Disconnect the alarm.
- Make sure to check your car, ideally by garage.
- It is very hot in Thailand, check that the cooling and air conditioning systems are working well.
- Wash the vehicle.
- Do not leave valuables in the vehicle.
- Keep a double of the keys.
Info SIAM: To know more about how to transfer ownership of a car in Thailand, you can learn more about regulation on car’s importation, in this website : Thai customs – Personal vehicle.
Info SIAM: SIAM Relocation is highly active between Thailand and USA. If you want further information regarding the importation and exportation between those 2 countries, feel free to visit our dedicated page : Moving from/to USA or don't hesitate to contact our experts.
FAQ | Import your car to Thailand
What additional paperwork is required for used or pre-owned personal vehicles?
An import permission issued by the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce; a housing certificate and an identity card; a passport in case of a change of address; a vehicle registration certificate proving that the imported vehicle was used overseas.
What is the importation authorization process?
An importer or agent provides a declaration of goods for importation and all required supporting documentation to the customs office or house at the port of entry; the customs officers review the documentation, issue a declaration number, and determine the applicable taxes and duties; an importer or agent pays taxes and duties to a cashier’s office; and an importer or agent presents the receipt issued by the cashier’s office to a bureacrat.
Is the import of an automobile from Thailand required to have insurance?
Yes, Imported Auto Insurance provides additional security above and above the carrier's fundamental insurance (which is not easy to apply).
Standard carrier plans typically do not account for the worth of your cargo and only cover lump sums. Global quantities, for instance, might be a constant sum or a sliding scale based on a dollars-to-kilograms ratio.
DocShipper info: Do you like our article today? For your business interest, you may like the following useful articles :
DocShipper Advise : We help you with the entire sourcing process so don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
- Having trouble finding the appropriate product? Enjoy our sourcing services, we directly find the right suppliers for you!
- You don't trust your supplier? Ask our experts to do quality control to guarantee the condition of your goods!
- Do you need help with the logistics? Our international freight department supports you with door to door services!
- You don't want to handle distribution? Our 3PL department will handle the storage, order fulfillment, and last-mile delivery!
SIAM Relocation - Best price moving company in Thailand !
Due to our attractive pricing, many customers trust our services and we thanks them. Stop to overpay the services and save money with our tailored package matching will all type of removals, from small volume to full house, let us find the best and cost-effective option.
Communication is important, which is why we strive to discuss in the most suitable way for you!